Author Topic: need help connecting to severs  (Read 1673 times)

kevlar

• Captain

need help connecting to severs
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
build new pc and intsalled both cod2 and 4 both have same issue. if i try and get on the server it will not connect. if i use hlsw says all servers are timed out which they are not. ingame server lookup will just sit on the refreshing master server list and does nothing from there.

so if xfire hlsw and ingame servers are doing this it must be one of my pc settings that is fing everything up i just dont know what.

this is what i get from activision website

Though uncommon the Master Server is sometimes unavailable. This may be due to maintenance on the server, a network outage, or simply the routing between your machine and the server over the internet. This issue will usually resolve itself if you are patient.

Be sure that your computer is not behind a software or hardware firewall of any kind. This includes firewalls built into routers or other equipment, as well as programs like Zone Alarm, Black Ice, and the integrated firewall in Windows XP and Vista. Activision does not support the use of our games from behind a firewall.

Another common cause of problems is a poorly configured router or connection sharing solution. If you are using a router, ICS, NAT or a software gateway you may have problems playing on the internet. This is because the router may not be forwarding the correct information back to your machine. It may be possible to get around this problem using port forwarding or DMZ. You can find more information on configuring shared connections for multiplayer gaming at www.practicallynetworked.com. Please be aware that like a firewall we cannot actively support using shared connections to play online.

The most common cause of problems though is usually the simplest - an overburdened network stack. By default many computers have protocols the average person doesn't use; things like VPN or NDISWAN. You may want to contact your ISP to find out exactly which protocols you can safely remove. Often times network game problems are resolved by something as simple as removing unused adapters and protocols.

* Make sure you have TCP/IP bound to only your Dial-up Adapter if you are trying to connect to the internet via dial-up modem.
    * Sometimes simply rebooting your computer or power cycling the external modem can resolve this issue.

* Make sure you have the network setting set correctly in the game.
      1) Start the game
      2) Click on Multiplayer.
      3) Ensure the right Connection Type is selected for your internet or LAN.

* If you are on a dynamic IP connection try renewing your IP address.
      Windows 9x/ME
      1) Click Start then Run.
      2) At the prompt type WINIPCFG.
      3) Once in the IP configuration screen, click Release All.
      4) Click Renew All.

Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista
      1) First launch the Command Prompt.
      2) At the command line type "IPCONFIG /RENEW".

did renew ip reset my pc and unpluged and reset my modem. i am not running a firewall at all or virus scaner right now. oh and im running xp. what is my next step i should try as i got no idea

werth

• NoBS|Member
  • General

• Personal Text
    fuck WoW!
Re: need help connecting to severs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
sounds like it could be a port forwarding issue, got a router? if you do, www.portforward.com

kevlar

• Captain

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
no router and i can connect to people on my p2p apps

kevlar

• Captain

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:17:15 PM »
is having onboard lan goig to cause any problems. also how would i go about disabling any of these things they talk about in here

The most common cause of problems though is usually the simplest - an overburdened network stack. By default many computers have protocols the average person doesn't use; things like VPN or NDISWAN. You may want to contact your ISP to find out exactly which protocols you can safely remove. Often times network game problems are resolved by something as simple as removing unused adapters and protocols.

nad btw thx for help guys

smitty1258

• NoBS|Administrator
  • General

• "See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time."

• Personal Text
    pwning sounds!
    • No Bullshit!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
are you sure your entering the right IP's? we changed them
A story. A man fires a rifle for many years. and he goes to war. And afterwards he comes home, and he sees that whatever else he may do with his life - build a house, love a woman, change his son's diaper - he will always remain a jarhead. And all the jarheads killing and dying, they will always be me. We are still in the desert.

Quote from: Baim
not even pentium 1 billion will improve YOUR skills :)
Quote from: Evilgenius
* Evilgenius pulls out his cock to compare

kevlar

• Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »
yes it does not matter i cant even get the  cod4 internet list to look any servers up. it wont even get a list of servers. idk im going to try and put a nic card in and see if it does anything