Author Topic: No dedicated servers for MW2  (Read 24081 times)

vonDuTch

• NoBS|Administrator
  • General

• Personal Text
    No Bullshit Clan
Re: No dedicated servers for MW2
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
almost 100000 sigs, wtf, thats gota hurt

DirtOne

• NoBS|Member
  • General

• The Noob Admin

• Personal Text
    Death Cab For Dirty
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »
Lol get the message neubs the ppl want dedicated servers

...just a quick question..but ar eyou alt-tabbing and using same pc? if so.. please stop..

damnit dirt stop being a mexicant and start being a mexiCAN

NoBS|Thirsty

• NoBS|Member
  • General

• Stare into my Eyes!!!!

• Personal Text
    GET IN THE FUCKIN SERVER NOOB!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
Just out, guess its official

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/ ... ponse.aspx

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicates servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

vonDuTch

• NoBS|Administrator
  • General

• Personal Text
    No Bullshit Clan
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »
fck it, no more dedi servers............

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:59:13 PM by vonDuTch »

Veni Vidi Vici

• Sergeant

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
Just out, guess its official

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/ ... ponse.aspx

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicates servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

These dipshits are so fucking clueless.  Who are these idiots?  Probably marketing idiots that have nothing to do with the development and know nothing about PC gaming.  Seriously, it sounds like they know nothing about gaming on the PC except for what some focus group full of noobs told them.  I still can't believe how stupid IW is.

Veni Vidi Vici

• Sergeant

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
If IW really thinks this will be good and just thinks people need to try it out and see how great it is, then they need to put out a multiplayer demo for people to experience it first hand. 

vonDuTch

• NoBS|Administrator
  • General

• Personal Text
    No Bullshit Clan
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
agreed

ReDeMpTiON

• Lieutenant

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
I canceled my pre order so damn fast when I found this out. I hate Xbox-ish online gameplay, the matchmaking blows huge dick.
Processor-Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Processor QX6850 at 3.0 GHZ
Ram-4 GB's PC-6400 DDR2 800 mhz ram.
Motherboard-Asus motherboard.
Graphics Card-ATI Radeon 4870 HD 512 mb
Hard drive-Western Digital SATA 160 GB, Western Digital SATA 1 TB Storage
OS-Windows Xp Home Edition

DirtOne

• NoBS|Member
  • General

• The Noob Admin

• Personal Text
    Death Cab For Dirty
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »
I canceled my pre order so damn fast when I found this out. I hate Xbox-ish online gameplay, the matchmaking blows huge dick.
+1

...just a quick question..but ar eyou alt-tabbing and using same pc? if so.. please stop..

heartsfan

• NoBS|Administrator
  • Major

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
*Edit* just noticed smitty put up something similar in the lounge! lol

Found this on another forum .... It gets worse. lol.

brief summary of the best buy chat:

No Console commands
No Mods
No Dedicated Servers
No lean
No Record Feature
9vs9 max playes on PC

"What sort of ping have you guys been getting on IWNet?"

"We've been getting around 100ms and its been great"

"Is it fair to say the PC version is a console port"

answer..

"No, the PC version has many added features, such as MOUSE SUPPORT, IN-GAME CHAT & GRAPHICS OPTIONS.

YOU HERE THAT BOYS, MOUSE SUPPORT. YES.

DirtOne

• NoBS|Member
  • General

• The Noob Admin

• Personal Text
    Death Cab For Dirty
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
"Is it fair to say the PC version is a console port"

answer..

"No, the PC version has many added features, such as MOUSE SUPPORT, IN-GAME CHAT & GRAPHICS OPTIONS.

YOU HERE THAT BOYS, MOUSE SUPPORT. YES.

WOW! just WOw man!

mouse support! FFS!

i guess i'm officially saying fuck this game and giving up on any hopes i still had..

hope battlefield can bring hope to me again

A TaCo!

• Lieutenant

• Personal Text
    Hug me! (>n,n)>
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
Owned.